Lily Choice, Web Hosting Expert (2011-present)
Répondu il y a 4w · L'auteur dispose de réponses 57 et de vues de réponses 47.7k
Bonne question en fait. Je ne peux pas expliquer dans quora. J'ai ajouté un article détaillé ici. Vous pouvez check it out si tu as du temps
What does .IO stand for?
.IO represents the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of British Indian Ocean Territory. The Indian Ocean .IO Domain Registry and Network Information Centre is the authorized body for carrying out its registry and administration. The domain is currently being treated by Google as a generic top level domain since webmasters and internet users don’t consider it as a country code domain.
Aside from Indian Ocean, IO is also used as an acronym for other words. Other popular meanings of IO include: input/output (computing), interest only (accounting), information online (internet), information operation (military), instant offense (police), India Office (government) and investor optimum (stocks).
Why register a .IO domain?
British Indian Ocean Territory is a territory of the United Kingdom located between Indonesia and Tanzania. Commercial fishing is the primary source of revenues amounting to one million US dollars per annum. Agricultural or industrial activities do not exist. Construction projects for defense facilities are carried out by contractual workers from the Philippines and Mauritius. Currently, there are less than 5000 civilians and military personnel living in the islands.
Although BIOT is not a tourist destination and is also not a place for making investments, there are plenty of reasons why .IO is a profitable domain suffix for your website.
- It is ideal for companies wanting to register a domain name that is already taken in .COM or is being sold at a hefty price. The keyword that you want to use for your website name is likely still available in .IO.
- Although IO is a ccTLD, Google does not treat it like one because majority of websites using this country code are not relevant to Indian Ocean. If your company is not exactly targeting consumers in IO (the population there is very low), IO domain is a good substitute for generic TLDS like .COM, .NET or .ORG.
- IO is good for domain hacking. There are other popular meanings of IO aside from Indian Ocean. If your business is engaged in any of those possible IO definitions, you may take advantage of that.
- Using IO for global targeting is ideal. In contrast to other ccTLDs which are useful for local targeting, IO domain suffix does not have any effect on local search results. Using this country code does not mean that most of your traffic will come from British Indian Ocean. This is good if your goal is to generate traffic from all over the world and not just from a specific location.
- IO is ideal for companies engaged in technology, software or computing. For some reason, webmasters and internet users associate IO to IT (information technology) probably because most websites using this domain extension are related to file or media converter.
Richard Hoefer, Over 25 years experience with internet Domain Names
Répondu il y a 4w · L'auteur dispose de réponses 59 et de vues de réponses 13.7k
(This answer may get collapsed because not enough written text here. That’s because the best answers to this question are found by reading several links to articles on web)
It’s a domain name that is often chosen by startups— because .com is not available for the name they want— and it is relatively easy to remember. It doesn’t have a particular meaning other than the country code it actually represents. But techies like it because i/o is a computer term all techies know, standing for INPUT/OUTPUT . Second, Google’s main developer event every year is called I/O . So there is a “startup company” association to the domain .io . However, if your website audience are more mainstream consumers, it could be a terrible name that makes no sense to them. Here are pros and cons about choosing .io for your company name or startup:
- What Makes .io Domains So Popular?
- Why .io is a Lousy Domain for Your Tech Startup
- .io Domain for SaaS and Startups: Pros and Cons of Using in 2018
- The Meaning Behind That IO Domain You Keep Seeing Everywhere - Latest Domain Name News
But lastly, keep in mind that the people who will be pushing the value of using a .io domain are the Registrar companies who will happily sell you those domains.
Branko Jovanovic, Gestionnaire de site Web et concepteur graphique (1997-present)
Répondu il y a 4w · L'auteur dispose de réponses 1.6k et de vues de réponses 696k
The two-letter website domain extensions are usually reserved for country-code domains. The .IO domain is essentially a ccTLD for British Indian Ocean Territory.
However, because .IO represents an acronym for Input/Output the domain extension has received global usage for tech-oriented company and business websites. Because of the .COM namespace is so much saturated, the .IO is one of the ccTLD domains that represent a popular alternative.
Since it is essentially a ccTLD your best choice for this particular domain registration is a country-code domain focused registrar such as IstanCo Domains, which will be able to provide fast and reliable registration, instant during general availability hours, or within less than 24h.
Take note that .IO domain operator prohibits the use of its domain for any kind of sexual, pornographic or illegal activities. Domain authority reserves the right to deactivate a domain name used in such manner.
This actually makes it a reliable choice for any kind of personal or business website, because there is no negative renown within the domain.
Yogendra Chavda, former Digital Marketing Professional
Répondu il y a 4w · L'auteur dispose de réponses 59 et de vues de réponses 17.7k
The Internet country code top-level domain .io is assigned to the British Océan Indien Territory. The .io domain is administered by the Internet Computer Bureau, a domain name registry company based in the United Kingdom.Wikipédia
Répondu il y a 4w
The .io domain extension belongs to the British Indian Ocean Territory. The British Indian Ocean Territory are a group of islands situated between Tanzania and Indonesia. The biggest island is Diego Garcia used by military forces of UK and US.
Elif Omer, former System Engineer, It Analyst
Répondu il y a 4w
.IO domain name—the extension that originally served as a ccTLD for British Indian Ocean Territory took off several years ago among web innovators and remains a popular domain choice for startups and tech companies.