Hurricane Harvey Cometh

Hurricane Harvey Cometh

We’re not ready…not for this kind of storm. Since moving to the farm we’ve identified several areas on our property prone to flooding. Thankfully our house isn’t in one of these areas.

Unfortunately though, our animal barn is. Our property has a gentle slope that runs right to and past the barn. We’ve made improvements that have helped quite a bit, but I don’t think we’re quite ready for 10-20 inches in 2 days.

Thankfully our neighbor let us borrow their rear bucket for the tractor. I’ve been using it to pile dirt into a burm that will hopefully slow down and divert the water around the barn.

Our tractor shed isn’t finished yet, but I’ve reinforced it the best I can. Now it’s time to check the barn for any last minute tweeks and bring the generator up to the house.

Please keep us and everone in the path of this storm in your prayers.

Advertisements

Position and hold, caution wake turbulence

© maaviStill no homestead news as we have yet to close on the sale of our city home. The deal we had in June ended with a terminated contract in July which you can read about in our previous post. It took some time to unravel the details of the contract termination, but we did finally get the house back on the market.

About two weeks passed by and we ended up with several offers on the table. Yesterday we accepted what we think was the best of them and we again have a signed contract. I am hopeful this time we will go to closing, but due to the unforeseen drama of the previous contract we are throttling back our excitement.

We haven’t been out to the homestead in over two months because we have been so busy putting this house sale together and making it ready for a buyer. We realize there isn’t much we could do out there in this Texas summer heat when we have no power or water, but we just love putting our eyes on the prize. Hopefully we will get out there again soon!

No updates on the homestead, still working on the homefront

I had hoped to have more news from the homestead this week as we had planned a weekend getaway to the property. Unfortunately we had to change plans due to the mold issue that came up last week in our home for sale.

We examined the area of concern and found very little to actually be concerned about, then we turned around. As we examined the outer walls of the sunroom we did find some mold, not bad mind you, but it was there. The worst problem was not mold, but wood rot. Thankfully the structure is supported by the limestone walls because if it had been directed on the wooden frames, this thing would have surely collapsed.

Knowing what we had to do, we sucked it up and went straight to work on the problem. We tore out all the existing wall framing, improved the design and rebuilt everything with pressure treated wood. We replaced regular sheetrock with greenboard to further protect against any future attempt by mold to gain a foothold in that room.

Next step is the gutter, which unfortunately needs to be done by a licensed contractor. We could probably tackle it ourselves, but due to the severity of the issue we think it prudent to have someone who really knows gutters take care of this unique design challenge.

We had to extend the closing date for the sale, but I am hopeful that this time it will actually happen. If it doesn’t it has not been due to a lack of effort on our part.