This weekend was the first time we’ve been out to the farm since the rains came and the temperature has risen. The pasture was blanketed with a field of yellow flowers and was pretty amazing to stand in. What wasn’t pleasant is that we have discovered our future homestead is already claimed by a few legion of mosquitoes! They weren’t so terrible in the wooded campsite, but step out into the open field and I felt like I was in Minnesota! I know there are pools of standing water along the creek, but they apparently love the tall grass and flowers too.
There is a giant Oak tree near the edge of the field that we have been admiring since we first set eyes on the property. It was encumbered with thick briars and a few Cedar and other small trees, but I just knew there was a beautiful tree under there. Since there was time this weekend I took the opportunity to do some clearing and reveal the mighty Oak in all its splendor. So, after I doused myself with mosquito spray I took to the task. One day I will remember to take pictures/video when I am about to take on a new adventure, but for now you can see the tree AFTER all the work. The picture doesn’t do it justice as the trunk of this ancient tree is well over 10-15 feet around.
We didn’t stay as long as we had planned because a storm system came through, dumped a little rain, took away the nice breeze we had enjoyed all day and left behind still, humid air. Without power for even a small fan, it wasn’t all that pleasant.
On another note, all the work to our house is done and it is officially on the market (and the calls are already coming in).
We are battling time. We set a goal for ourselves to have our house listed on the market by Memorial Day weekend. Did I mention that we made this decision only about two or three weeks ago? We probably could have given ourselves a little more room on the calendar, but this just seemed like the right decision for both of us so we determined to give it our all to make it happen. If it didn’t (or doesn’t) it won’s be to the ruin of our plans, but it is good to have goals!
I spent most of last week building a closet in the loft room so that we can claim it as an official bedroom. I’ve never attempted something quite like this, but YouTube was may friend for several days prior to my actions. The frame went up and ended up being surprisingly level and square all around. The sheet rock went on without a hitch and after a little tape and floating, the texture went on and it got a coat of paint. I hung the door, but ran out of time to put the trim on due to the next crucial element on our timetable.
There were a few small cracks in the ceiling that have been there since we bought the house, but we decided to do the right thing and do some patching. Easier said than done! The ceiling in question is two stories high and my garage is not equipped with scaffolding. The next best thing was my tall ladder which reached the ceiling with no problem. The hitch was that when leaning against one wall or the other, I could only reach about half of the ceiling. I did my best and I can testify that drywall repair is not one of my callings. It looks okay, but you can tell someone patched it and that wasn’t what I was hoping for. Oh well, we bought it with a crack and it never bothered us, so hopefully someone out there wont be bothered by my amateur attempt to fix it.
The minute that was done it was time to get every stick of furniture out of the house so that we could have new carpet installed. We managed, in about a day, to fill our garage and sun room with a house full of furniture. The carpet was installed yesterday and when we returned from our day jobs we set to repopulating the house with our things. Amazingly what had taken at least a full day to do only took about 4 hours to undo. I believe we were so tired and delirious that we gave no thought to how exhausted we were and just got the job done!
Now it is just a matter of a few paint touch-ups here and there, some cleaning and we should have pictures of the house taken for the listing on Friday, right on schedule!
For anyone else planning to sell your home, I suggest you make your plans a little sooner than we did 🙂
While we progress to spending more and more time on our land, one thing we absolutely need to gain access to is water. There is a coop water line that runs parallel to our property and we will eventually tap into it. However, the cost to do so really struck me as almost prohibitive until we actually being building our home site.
To add, we know we want to add a well to the property for the main purposes of watering crops and livestock without the coop water expense. But that will come later. What we are trying to decide now is if it is feasible to dig a shallow well for our recreational use. I have looked at the sand point drilling (more like pounding) technique and there is some promise there.
I’ve probably watched every video on YouTube about this process and I think the sandy loam we have will allow this kind of well drilling. The part that I need clarification on is properly locating the well itself along with estimating how deep we will need to go. Perhaps this is a trial-and-error process, but It would seem to me there is a little more logical way to plan this thing out.
We do have a “creek” that runs through our property, but with the drought being what it has been it really is more of a seasonal creek that runs a little during storms and then collects shallow amount of water in pools along its length.
Any of you homesteaders out there who have drilled.dug your own shallow well, please feel free to comment or contact us about your experience(s).